Irregular Operations Policy (IROP)
Delta defines an irregular operation (IROP) as a delay or cancellation to a Delta flight schedule within 72 hours of travel occurring for a variety of reasons including but not limited to:
- Weather or other “acts of God”
- Servicing of an aircraft
- Aircraft equipment change
- Crew rest
When a standard IROP occurs (no travel exception waiver is issued), travel professionals may contact Delta Sales Support or Delta Reservations for assistance with customer reaccommodations and any ticket reissues or follow the Irregular Operations Rebooking Policy below. Reaccommodations and ticket reissues during an IROP will be made without penalty or administrative service charges.
Travel professionals may refund fully refundable tickets through normal ARC/ BSP processing.
Non-Refundable Ticket – Wholly Unused
Travel agents worldwide can refund a wholly unused non-refundable ticket when there has been a Delta IROP event if the following apply:
- Affected flight is Delta-coded (operated by Delta or other airline) or Delta Connection flight
- Flight canceled due to an IROP or there is a change in the scheduled arrival time which exceeds 90 minutes
The PNR must be documented with one of the following OSI entries:
- OSI DL REFUNDED PER IROP CANCEL DLXXXX/DDMMMYY (XXXX = canceled flight number and DDMMMYY = impacted flight date)
- OSI DL REFUNDED PER IROP DELAY DLXXXX/DDMMMYY (XXXX = delayed flight number and DDMMMYY = impacted flight date)
Non-Refundable Ticket – Partially Used
Travel agents worldwide must contact Delta Sales Support or Delta Reservations office for assistance with a refund for a partially used nonrefundable ticket affected by a Delta IROP event.
Travel professionals may rebook and reissue tickets for their customers whose flights have been cancelled due to irregular operations caused by weather events or for “acts of God” (e.g. storms, floods or earthquakes), provided certain conditions are met. See Travel Exception Policy Guidelines.
If a travel exception waiver is issued and a customer’s Delta flight is cancelled due to irregular operations such as weather or an “act of God”, Delta allows travel professionals to refund a totally unused non-refundable ticket(s) through normal BSP processing, if no other alternate flights are acceptable. The PNR and ticket must be documented as noted below.
Document the PNR with the following OSI message:
OSI DL REFUND PER XXXXX (weather/event name) / DDMMMYY (See Travel Exception Policy for date)
If the ticket has already been reissued by Delta or the ticket is partially used, travel agents may utilize the Travel Agent Weather Event Online Refund form to submit a refund request or contact Delta Sales Support or Delta Reservations for assistance.
When an irregular operation occurs, Delta will attempt to reroute, re-ticket, and under certain circumstances pay for hotel, ground transportation, communications, and meals per the rules of the Contract of Carriage.
For general information related to possible compensation due to an IROP event, please refer to Delta’s Contract of Carriage.
For Point of Sale Europe
Delta will continue to proactively assist when customers are impacted by irregular operations (IROP). The IROP Rebooking Policy provides you with options to offer alternate reaccommodations after an IROP (canceled flight or significant delay) occurs.
- Europe Point of Sale
- Itineraries issued on 006 ticket stock
- Itinerary delays or cancellations which occur within 72 hours of scheduled departure time
- Delta-coded or Delta Connection flights
- Flights that have a delay of more than 90 minutes or have been canceled
- Rebook in the same class of service as originally booked (see “M class or below” rebooking exceptions)
- Rebooked flight may be a Delta-coded and Delta-operated flight or a Delta Connection flight
- Rebooking date may be the same day or within one (1) calendar day either side of the customer’s affected flight:
For rebooking on same day as original flight:
|For rebooking within one (1) calendar day before or after canceled flight:|
- Rebooked itinerary must be from/to the same origin and destination as indicated on the original ticket or within these parameters if necessary:
Okay to use Co-terminal cities (city pairs that are considered the same point) for domestic travel
(see note under Combinations in the fare rule, e.g. BWI- WAS, FLL-MIA, LAX-ONT, etc.)
Okay to change the origin or destination to another airport within 300 miles of the original origin or destination, respectively, for domestic travel
Okay to change the transfer point as long as it is a valid DL routing
- When changes to the outbound travel occur, the unaffected return date may be changed to protect the original length of the trip. The return travel must be booked in the original class of service.
- Minimum/Maximum stay requirements may be waived if the new itinerary meets the rebooking options listed above.
- Customers may also rebook on a JV Partner AF, KL, AZ, VS flight for same day travel; confirm in the highest available booking class, within the same cabin for the operating carrier. Rebooking within the economy cabin is allowed up to and including Y class, however rebooking to a higher economy product offering or premium economy cabin is not allowed.
Required Documentation for Rebooking and Reissue:
- Document the PNR with the following OSI:
- OSI DL REISSUE DUE TO DL IROP
- Enter remark in the endorsement box:
- IROP DLXXXX DDMMMYY
(XXXX = original affected flight number and DDMMMYY = date of original flight)
- Enter Waiver Code 5AG5Y in the Ticket Designator or the Tour Code box
- The travel agency is responsible to advise the customer of the new flights and reissue the customer’s ticket.
- Changes outside of the guidelines above are subject to the reissue rules of the ticketed fare. This includes any applicable additional collection or administrative service fees.
- Failure to comply with exception processes specific to this reaccommodation policy may result in a debit memo.
- Please review the Standard Irregular Operations Guidelines - Refunds details above.
- For requests outside of the above guidelines or questions regarding the Irregular Operations Rebooking policy, please contact Agency Sales Support for assistance.