Travelers with Disabilities
Delta Air Lines provide all passengers the very best service, whatever their circumstances. Accessibility is a primary concern of ours. We're always available to help passengers who need it.
Delta’s Complaint Resolution Officials (CRO) have been specially trained and are aware of applicable Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and Department of Transportation (DOT) disability regulations and are available at all airport locations. Customers can request the assistance of a CRO through our customer service personnel.
To learn more, download the Department of Transportation regulations on Non-Discrimination on the Basis of Disability in Air Travel in PDF format.
General Questions for Customers with Disabilities
Customers worldwide with general questions or concerns regarding services for those traveling with a disability can contact Delta at +1 404-209-3434.
Notice to Customers
If you would like to obtain a copy of 14 CFR Part 382 in an accessible format, you can contact the US Department of Transportation
- Via the DOT Hotline for calls within the United States: 1-800-778-4838 or 1-800-455-9880 (TTY)
- By telephone to the Aviation Consumer Protection Division: 1-202-366-2220 (voice) or 1-202-366-0511(TTY)
- By Mail: Air Consumer Protection Division C-75, US Department of Transportation 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE West Building Room W96-432 Washington, DC 20590
- On the Aviation Consumer Protection Division's web site: airconsumer.ost.dot.gov http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/
Review Delta's accessibility & assistance features that are available for our customer's with disabilities at the airport and onboard our airplanes.
Seating Accommodation for Individuals with Disabilities
Delta accommodates any request for seating that helps manage a disability. It is our responsibility to provide customers with a disability an applicable seat assignment in advance. Additional accommodation may be made for:
- Passengers who use an aisle chair to get on the aircraft and can't readily transfer over a fixed aisle armrest can be provided with a seat that has a moveable aisle armrest on aircraft equipped with this feature.
- Passengers traveling with an attendant helping them during the flight with be provided side-by-side seating.
- Passengers traveling with a service animal will be accommodated with any available seat but will be provided a bulkhead seat if requested. Please note: Service animals are not allowed in the exit row.
- Passengers with a fused/immobilize leg will be provided with any available seat they qualify for, on the side of the aircraft that appropriately accommodates their disability and if requested, a bulkhead seat.
To request a specific disability seat assignment, contact Delta Sales Support or Delta Reservations for assistance.
Delta welcomes service animals in the aircraft cabin, such as dogs and monkeys trained to assist passengers with mobility, visual, or hearing disabilities.
A service animal must be in the floor space where the passenger sits and may not get in the way of an aisle or any area that needs to remain clear for emergencies. (no exit row seating available.)
Some locations (Hawaii, Great Britain, etc.) have quarantine laws for animals, or restrictions for animals to enter the country. See Health Requirements for more information.
- Customers should always carry medication in carry-on luggage, and never in checked luggage.
- Delta aircraft do not have refrigerators onboard. Advise customers to plan accordingly.
- Customers that use needles or syringes to take medication, must have appropriate medical records to show their medical condition and need for the medical procedure, in case security officers have questions, or to satisfy foreign authorities when traveling outside the United States.
- Customers must tell the cabin crew if they have used any needles during flight. The crew will provide the customer with a disposal container.
- No intravenous devices can hang from the aircraft overhead, because they might interfere with emergency oxygen masks.
On Board Medical Oxygen
Delta allows passengers to use approved Portable Oxygen Concentrators (POC) with advance notification.
Delta will accept for transportation, without charge, any manually or battery operated mobility or assistive device.
Pregnant women do not need a medical certificate to travel. However, keep in mind that ticket change fees and penalties aren't waived for pregnancy.
If a customer is traveling after her eighth month, it's a good idea to check with a doctor to be sure it will be ok to travel.
If you have a customer that has a peanut allergy, please contact Delta Sales Support or Delta Reservations in advance to have the peanut allergy information noted in the customer’s PNR.
When Delta is notified that a customer has a peanut allergy, we’ll refrain from serving peanuts and peanut products onboard the flight. We'll also advise cabin service to board additional non-peanut snacks, which will allow flight attendants to serve these snack items to everyone onboard.
On the day of travel, customers should notify the airport gate agent of the peanut allergy, if they would like to requests to pre-board and cleanse the immediate seating area.
Unfortunately, even with all the above precautions, we still can't guarantee that the flight will be completely peanut-free.
Delta Connection Carriers
Please use the same policy guidelines as mainline Delta Air Lines.
Please note: Delta Connection Carriers do not accept incubators, oxygen, respirators, ventilators, or on board wheelchairs.
Special Needs FAQ
For additional information on Special Travel needs visit the Special Needs FAQ.
Visit aeromexico.com to get information about the programs available for customer's traveling with disabilities.
Visit agentconnect.biz for information about all of the special assistance services available for customer's with disabilities.
Visit Koreanair.com to get information about the programs available for customer's traveling with disabilities.
Visit vsflyinghub to get information about the programs available for customer's traveling with disabilities.
July 2, 2021